Today wij concentrate on online dating dating scams. Albeit some of thesis scams are certainly predictable, others are less so (especially the third and fourth scams). Naturally, wij offerande tips to help you protect yourself from thesis online dating scams.
However, before wij start, you may want to spend a ogenblik looking at this week’s most popular articles from our other sites:
Is Identity Theft Indeed Like the Commercials Vertoning It? Identity theft is no laughing matter — prevention involves knowing what measures to take and putting those measures into activity.
How to Treat Unauthorized Credit Card Charges: Unauthorized credit card charges can be treated ter two ways — here’s the right way.
What You Need to Know Before Ordering From Online Florists: Sniff out this informatie very first to see if shopping the online florists is indeed the savviest way to send flowers.
Have You Considered Satellite TV Lately? Fnd out the advantages and disadvantages of Satellite TV compared to cable and on-the-air broadcasting.
Don’t Go Violating My Heart: The Top Four Online Dating Scams
Could your soul mate be waiting for you somewhere out there te cyberspace? And if so, how can you avoid dating scams that might hide there spil well?
If you’ve everzwijn bot tempted to attempt online dating, you’re not alone. An Online Publishers Association probe showcased U.S. residents paid $600 million on online dating and personals te 2006, capturing the largest segment of paid content anywhere on the World Broad Web.
Online dating scams range from minor white lies to outright thievery. Here are the four most common dating scams and what you can do to avoid them.
1. Not Who You’re Supposed to Be
Just like face-to-face dating, singles online attempt to waterput their best foot forward. But online dates have the advantage of hiding behind a laptop, making them seem a entire lotsbestemming “dreamier” than they indeed are. An unpleasant verrassing can often feel like — or be — a scam.
Trust your gut. If something sounds wrong — like a lawyer who says he’s 35 years old but has 25 years of professional practice — begin asking questions.
If you’re worried about the person’s age ask him/hier to send a latest photo. (Realize, of course, that the “recent” picture they send may not truly be latest — or it may not even be a picture of your “date.”)
Also, protect yourself from people who might be emotionally unstable. Until you get to know your date better, conceal your individual information, agree to meet only te public and always let a friend know where you will be.
Online Dating Tijdschrift suggests thesis tactics:
- Set up an anonymous email account from an email service. Be sure to switch your account information to not give out your total name. This protects your privacy more spil it’s fairly effortless to get information on a person from an email address that you’ve used for years.
- Use your cell phone number. A person armed with your huis phone number can find your huis address ter just a few clicks. (Scammers may be able to find your address from a cell phone number, but it is more difficult.)
- Drive yourself to the date destination. Your date need not know where you live until you know him better. Also, you can control when you want to end the evening.
- Pay half of the bill. Albeit this is often not an kwestie, it’s much safer to not have your date expect something te comeback for paying the bill.
Two. Married On the Side
An MSNBC article found one third of guys dating online are married! (Wij don’t know the statistics for women.)
Albeit it’s often very difficult to know whether or not someone is married, here are four tips to help you spot the warning signs:
- Your date posts an online picture that is very dark and makes it difficult to pick hier out of a crowd. Most married people do not want their picture out there for everyone to see, taking a chance the chance that someone they know could recognize them.
- Your date requests your phone number but doesn’t give you his ter terugwedstrijd. A married playmate may call you from a phone other then a huis phone, or use a blocking feature when they call.
- Your date calls at either very irregular or very set times. A married person would have to call at hier own convenience, scheduling it around hier regular life. Notice if you always have to leave a message or if your playmate only comebacks calls after long periods of time. If your playmate always calls at exactly the same time, it may be she is calling from work during a pauze to avoid detection by a spouse.
- Spil you become close, your date won’t expose his last name and does not introduce you to friends or family. Married people will steer clear of voeling with people they know and from conversations about their family and upbringing. Ask yourself what it may be he is attempting to hide.
Trio. Not a Date At All – The Email Scam
Some online dating scams aren’t dates at all, but a scam to klapper you up with marketing emails or other spam.
This annoying online danger usually happens when you very first create your online profile and commence talking with other members. You’re asked almost instantly for your email address and are all of a sudden inundated with spam. You never hear from the person again.
The solution? Don’t give out your email address before you’re certain of who you’re dealing with. And then use a separate address (spil wij suggested above) that you can lightly biombo if you commence to get a loterijlot of spam.
Four. The Online Dating Shakedown
Certainly the most common serious, and perhaps the most hurtful, the shakedown is an online dating scam usually run by an overseas woman (or even more common, a man posing spil a woman).
The person pretends to get to know you and like you. At some point “she” asks for money, sometimes ter order to come visit you or because someone is ill. You wire the money but never hear from hier again.
Fortunately, this scam is effortless to avoid. Steer clear of any date that asks you to send hier money.
Ultimately, if a person’s emails don’t seem to be following earlier conversations or contradict things that were already said, it could be your “dream date” is using a scripted allurement, copied from a previous target.
Dating scams are most likely spil old spil civilization itself. But like all things driven down the information super highway, online dating is one way dating scams have picked up speed.
Witness for the warning signs wij described above, and check out this article for more informatie on avoiding online dating scams.
Also, the third scam victim’s story here is a good example of the fourth online dating scam.
That’s it for today — wij hope you love your week!